For CUCC’s 180th Anniversary
March 4, 2017, an updated CUCC
History bydecades was published.
To read it Click VIEW here
To print or save a copy Click DOWNLOAD here
History of The Congregational United Church of Christ of St. Charles
The Congregational Church of St. Charles, Illinois was established in 1837, only 3 years after this area along the Fox River was first settled and one year after Kane County was organized. The infant church began meeting in a small log cabin with 9 charter members. The cabin was located beside the Fox River at the current site of Mount Saint Mary’s Park.
In 1837 the Congregational Church received a gift of land, now known as 214 Walnut Street, in downtown St. Charles. Construction was begun on a permanent church building. Problems were encountered and it was nearly six years from the ground breaking until the building was completed. The building was finally dedicated on November 7, 1848.
By 1866, at the end of the American Civil War, records indicate that there were 135 members on our rolls. In 1957 the United Church of Christ was created when Congregational Churches and Evangelical Reform Churches merged. Our church became the Congregational United Church of Christ, St. Charles. In 1987 The Congregational United Church of Christ of Saint Charles celebrated its sesquicentennial with Rev. William L. Nagy as pastor. The Rev. Dr. John R. Rodgers accepted the call to become our pastor in 1997 after Rev. Nagy’s retirement.
In July of 1995 the congregation again received a gift of land. This time in the Fox Mill subdivision west of St. Charles. Our congregation voted to sell the building that had been its home for so many years to our neighbors, the Free Methodist Church of Saint Charles and began planning and construction of a new, much larger facility. Three years later, in the summer of 1998, the congregation moved into its current home. The dedication of the new building was held on November 8, 1998, exactly 150 years since the dedication of the first building on Walnut Street.
We, as a community in Christ, shall provide and administer a continuum of opportunities for worship, education, fellowship and outreach. It is our mission to serve individual, local, national and world needs.
What We Believe
The UCC respects freedom of individual conscience, and there are no “tests of faith” mandatory on our 1.4 million members, but we do honor the historic testimonies of our spiritual ancestors as they explored the Bible and applied its insights. The most important of these testimonies are gathered here. See the UCC’s Testimonies of the Faith page for more information.
We are located in Saint Charles Illinois, 35 miles west of the city of Chicago. St. Charles, along with the neighboring towns of Geneva and Batavia Illinois, are located on the Fox River in east central Kane County Illinois and are approximately midway between Elgin on the north and Aurora on the south.